We are seeking an experienced Media Relations Specialist who has experience with a focus in Hospitality. We are open to remote, U.S.-based candidates who can work with different time zones and meet project timelines.
We are professionals who thrive in a creative, collaborative and transparent environment, help build world-impacting brands and learn and grow from one another. We are committed to our core values and harness the culture of excellence, authenticity, collaboration and positivity to deliver results that truly move the needle for our clients. We celebrate achievements and are driven by success. We are proud to have been recognized by San Diego Business Journal as one of the ‘Best Places to Work List’ in 2020 and one of the ‘Best PR Firms in San Diego.’ We are determined to continue to create a positive and motivating work environment as we grow and deliver industry-leading ROI.
You are a growth-minded public relations professional, who thrives in a dynamic entrepreneurial environment and is willing to take risks and think big. Your passion for brand development centers on solving clients’ problems with strategic and creative solutions. And as an expert in hospitality PR, you know the in’s and out’s of working with hotels, restaurants, resorts. You are someone who displays the utmost professionalism and has a natural ability to anticipate client needs, read between the lines and effectively problem solve. You are ROI-driven, focused, communicative and bring a positive atmosphere to the team. You embrace your strengths and are ready to grow in your career. If this sounds like you, please apply now!
Job Title: Media Relations Specialist
At-Will Employment: This position is an at-will employee position.
Major Areas of Responsibility: The major areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist and support Senior Media Specialist and Media Director with the management of clients’ 90-day plans; strategize with account leads and teams to do so effectively and efficiently;
- Pitch and secure impactful placements for clients;
- Monitor trends within clients’ industries, flag, and report them to Media Director for discussion and with initial recommendation;
- Create pitch angles and timely news hooks for accounts;
- Update Media lists to ensure all contacts are relevant and up to date for client needs;
- Consistently meet/e-meet with media to establish and maintain “friendly” status;
- Draft introductory pitches to new media contacts to expand company reach;
- Draft press materials, including but not limited to press releases, pitches, and media advisories;
- Monitor and flag coverage to account coordinators, with context behind each;
- Understand and explain media metrics, including impressions, circulation, ad value, Domain Authority and more; Participate in client calls at least once a quarter to update the client on pitching priorities, big wins, current trends, overarching goals/strategy, etc.;
- Run the regional TV media program; ensure our clients are being pitched to regional news stations regularly; send out requests to account leads for ideas and assign pitching responsibilities;
- Create media briefing documents;
- Kick off quarterly plans for accounts you support, inputting planned media strategy, including pitch angles, descriptions, media targets, etc.;
- Aid in creation of quarterly report for clients you support, including top media slides, media by the numbers and coverage list;
- Support account teams with client comms, document preparation and strategy;
- Participate in relevant new business presentations;
- Report to Media Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree;
- 2-3+ years of PR experience;
- Public Relations experience with a focus in Hospitality a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and knowledge of AP Style;
- Standing relationships with media;
- Self-starter, who can complete tasks with little direction and can independently problem-solve based on a combination of experience and research;
- Displays utmost professionalism internally and externally, with clients, partners, etc.;
- Ability to share ideas and experience to foster positive strategic collaboration amongst team members;
- A positive, analytical, and creative mindset to be used in identifying and approach challenges, inefficiencies, and ineffective processes with a solution-oriented mindset;
- Passionate about solving our clients’ problems with strategic and creative solutions;
- Ability to anticipate client needs, potential problems, and effectively problem solve;
- A good and active listener, someone who reads people and those in a room well (and adapts their style and response accordingly);
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple client projects and deadlines across teams; Ability to understand client success extends beyond media relations; analyze business growth, media relations, and corporate communications in relationship to each other;
- Is solutions-oriented, recommends solutions when problems arise, assists colleagues in problem solving, and seeks input from colleagues in problem resolution;
- Exhibits effective communication skills. Uses different communication tools appropriately and is equally effective with each channel;
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment through flexibility, resilience and a positive outlook;
- A lifelong learner;
- Experience with Cision, Meltwater and/or other journalist databases and reporting tools;
- Proficient at Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This job description should not be construed in any way to create a contractual relationship.